After the loss to KKR in eliminator, RCB have played their final game of IPL 2021, meaning Virat Kohli has also played his final game as captain for RCB in IPL. During the start of 2nd phase of IPL 2021 Virat Kohli expressed his desire to step down from captaincy to manage his workload in the remaining years of his cricketing career. Kohli despite being a very good captain for India in the T20I format hasn't been able deliver best results for RCB over the years. Let's take a look at RCB's performance in IPL over the years with Kohli as captain and much more in this article.
RCB results in IPL since the time Virat Kohli became full-time skipper :
2013 - 5th Position
2014 - 7th Position
2015 - Reached Playoffs [Lost Qualifiers-2 to CSK]
2016 - Runners-Up [Lost Finals to SRH]
2017 - 8th Position [Missed out 3 games in that season]
2018 - 6th Position
2019 - 8th Position
2020 - Reached Playoffs [Lost Eliminator to SRH]
2021 - Reached Playoffs [Lost Eliminator to KKR]
Virat Kohli as Captain in IPL:
Matches : 140
Won : 66
Lost : 70
NR : 4
Kohli captained RCB for the first time during the 2011 season in the absence of Daniel Vettori. Kohli remains to be the youngest player ever to captain an IPL franchise. Virat Kohli in 2012 season captained his side in almost half of the season but he couldn't guide RCB into the playoffs.
Virat Kohli in IPL 2011 as captain:- P : 3; W : 2; L : 1
Virat Kohli in IPL 2012 as captain:- P : 7; W : 4; L : 2; NR : 1 [RCB ended up in 5th position in that season]
Few Virat Kohli records as captain in IPL:
- Captained 140 matches in IPL for single franchise (RCB) which is 2nd most for any player. [MS Dhoni has captained the CSK side in 189 games IPL games so far].
- Kohli scored 39 in his final match as RCB skipper, the same score he had made in his debut game as RCB captain.
- Only 2nd captain after Sachin Tendulkar to win both orange cap and MVP award in single season. Virat Kohli smashed 973 runs in the 2016 IPL which is most for any player in single season.
- Kohli has won 66 matches as captain in IPL so far which is 4th most after MS Dhoni, Rohit Sharma & Gautam Gambhir. But Kohli holds an embarrassing record of him being the only captain to not win a single IPL trophy among players who have played atleast 55 matches as captain in IPL.
- Kohli remains to be the only captain to smash 5 centuries in IPL overall. None of the other captains have smashed more than 1 century in the IPL history so far.
- Kohli is the only captain to win 3 games by a margin of 100 (or) more runs in IPL.
- Virat Kohli has smashed 40 fifty-plus scores as captain in IPL which is most for any player. He has also smashed most runs (4881) as captain in IPL so far.
- Kohli remains to be the only captain in IPL history to be involved in three 200+ run partnerships. Only other captain who was involved in a single 200 run partnership in IPL was Adam Gilchrist.