According to fresh reports, star Manchester United striker Cristiano Ronaldo has conveyed his wish to be released from the final year of his staggering £360,000-a-week contract. Ronaldo missed United’s tour of Thailand and Australia and has not started pre-season training with the club.
Reports have also informed that United made his best attempts to convince Ronaldo following his return with his agent Jorge Mendes at the Carrington training base. Following the meeting, several reports claimed that the discussion bore no fruit as the legendary striker has expressed his wish to leave the club from the final year of his contract.
Ronaldo on Thursday trained for the first time with United since expressing his shocking decision to move away from the club. He was also in attendance for the Red Devil’s 4-1 friendly win over Wrexham on Wednesday. Reports also reveal that Atletico Madrid has shown interest in the star footballer, but is facing massive backlash from their fans. After Chelsea and Bayern Munich ruled out themselves from the race, experts have gone out of potential next destination option for the legendary striker.
Earlier this month, New United manager Ten Hag reportedly said that Ronaldo was ‘not for sale.’ The former Real Madrid and Juventus player finished as United’s top-scorer last season with 24 goals. “I am looking forward to work with Ronaldo. He is a quality striker and his presence will surely provide much needed edge against opponents. We are planning with Cristiano Ronaldo for this season, so that’s it. He is not for sale, he is in our plans and we want to get success together,” said Hag.
The newly appointed United manager also said that he is not aware of what Ronaldo has conveyed to the club, but claimed that he respects the striker’s ‘space.’ “Cristiano was our top scorer last season, he added goals. But its not on me; its the club that has to make the choices and Cristiano makes his own decision,” he concluded.