Sachin Tendulkar, who is often referred to as the God of Cricket, has turned 49 today. Sachin's 24-year international career spanned from 1989 to 2013. The journey has had a lot of golden moments and he has broken several records in his career which were thought to be impossible at one point in time. Here in this article, we will have a look at those 5 records of Sachin Tendulkar which might never be broken.
1. Most Test matches played and most runs scored in international cricket:
- Sachin Tendulkar became the first and remains to be the only player to play 200 Test matches. This record might never get broken as playing 200 Test matches in this T20 era looks impossible.
- Sachin Tendulkar also holds the record for smashing most runs (34357) in international cricket. Looking at the current scenario, a player going past the record of smashing 34K+ runs is also very tough. His successor Virat Kohli has 23,650 runs in international cricket so far.
2. Making his international debut at the age of 16 and holds the record for having longest ODI career
- Sachin Tendulkar might end up being the only Indian player to make his international debut at the age of 16 in men's cricket.
Youngest to debut in Men's international Cricket:
Hasan Raza - 14 yrs & 227 days (1996)
Mushtaq Mohammad - 15 yrs & 124 days (1959)
Mohammad Sharif - 15 yrs & 128 days (2001)
Aaqib Javed - 16 yrs & 189 days (1989)
Sachin Tendulkar - 16 yrs & 205 days (1989)
- Sachin Tendulkar made his ODI debut on 18th December 1989 and ended his career on 18th March 2012. His ODI career spanned 22 years & 91 days overall and that could end up being the highest ever in men's ODI career.
Longest ODI career in men's cricket:
Sachin Tendulkar - 22 yrs & 91 days
Sanath Jayasuriya - 21 yrs & 184 days
Javed Miandad - 20 yrs & 272 days
3. Sachin Tendulkar might end up being the only player to smash more than 2000 runs in Men's World Cup.
Sachin played 6 Cricket World Cups in his career since 1992. He also holds the record for smashing most runs in a single WC edition (673 runs in 2003 WC).
Most runs in Men's CWC:
Sachin Tendulkar - 2278
Ricky Ponting - 1743
Kumar Sangakkara - 1532
Brian Lara - 1225
AB de Villiers - 1207
4. Sachin Tendulkar's record of smashing most ODI runs in a calendar year.
Sachin Tendulkar smashed 1894 ODI runs in the year 1998 from 33 innings. This record might never be broken as after the invention of T20s and WTC cycle, playing ODIs regularly could also become very difficult.
Most ODI runs in a calendar year:
Sachin Tendulkar - 1894 in 1998
Sourav Ganguly - 1767 in 1999
Rahul Dravid - 1761 in 1999
Sachin Tendulkar - 1611 in 1996
Matthew Hayden - 1601 in 2007
Most international centuries in a calendar year:
Sachin Tendulkar - 12 in 1998
Ricky Ponting - 11 in 2003
Virat Kohli - 11 in 2017
Virat Kohli - 11 in 2018
5. Sachin might end up being the only Indian player to smash more than 15,000 runs and pick more than 200 wickets in international cricket.
- Sachin Tendulkar has smashed 34,357 runs and has picked 201 wickets in the 664 international matches he has played so far.
Players with 15K+ runs and 200+ wickets in international Cricket:
- Sachin Tendulkar
- Steve Waugh
- Sanath Jayasuriya
- Jacques Kallis
- Chris Gayle