Five-time IPL Champions Mumbai Indians for the first time in history have lost their first 8 games of an IPL season. Consequently, they are reeling at the bottom of the points table. All the MI fans must be wondering if they still have a chance of qualifying for the IPL 2022 Playoffs if they go on to win their remaining 6 matches of this season. While they can make an outside chance for themselves, it is not entirely in their hands as the result other fixtures might also go in their way for them to proceed.
Here in this article are all such permutations and combinations that can still keep MI in the hunt for a place in the final four.
MI's remaining schedule:
vs RR at Mumbai-DY Patil Stadium on 30th April
vs GT at Mumbai-Brabourne Stadium on 6th May
vs KKR at Mumbai-DY Patil Stadium on 9th May
vs CSK at Mumbai-Wankhade on 12th May
vs SRH at Mumbai-Wankhade on 17th May
vs DC at Mumbai-Wankhade on 21st May
Assuming MI win their remaining six matches and end up with 12 points on board. Now there is a very small possibility for 6 (or) 7 teams to end up at 12 points in the table.
For many teams to end up exactly at 12 Points, teams in top-3 should win almost all their remaining matches while the remaining teams should lose as many as possible to stay at 12 points themselves.
We assume GT, SRH and RR to win maximum games as possible and the remaining teams to not win more than 6 matches overall. (RCB have a very less net run rate when compared to SRH & RR thus it will be easy for MI to go past RCB's NRR when they stay at 12 points)
For other teams to stay at 12 Points in IPL table
- RCB & LSG should not win more than 1 out of their remaining 6 games.
- PBKS should not win more than 2 out of their remaining 6 games
- DC should not win more than 3 out of their remaining 7 games
- KKR should not win more than 3 out of their remaining 6 games
- CSK should not win more than 4 out of their remaining 6 games
Results should be as follows:
- RCB defeat PBKS alone and lose their remaining games (Ends at 12 Points)
- LSG lose all their remaining games (Will have only 10 Points)
- PBKS defeat LSG and DC then lose their remaining games (Ends at 12 Points)
- DC defeat KKR and LSG then lose their remaining games (Will have only 10 Points)
- KKR defeat LSG twice and then lose their remaining games (Will have only 10 Points)
- CSK defeat RCB and DC only (Will have only 8 Points).
Now RCB, PBKS and MI will be at 12 points exactly. MI can easily try to go past RCB and PBKS Net Run Rate who are already depleted.
If the above happens then
- GT will have 11 (or) 12 wins (based on SRH vs GT game)
- RR will have 11 wins
- SRH will have 10 (or) 11 wins (based on SRH vs GT game)
- MI, RCB and PBKS will have 6 wins
IPL 2022 results should be ?
Match 39 - RR defeat RCB
Match 40 - GT defeat SRH (or) SRH defeat GT
Match 41 - DC defeat KKR
Match 42 - PBKS defeat LSG
Match 43 - GT defeat RCB
Match 44 - MI defeat RR
Match 45 - DC defeat LSG
Match 46 - SRH defeat CSK
Match 47 - RR defeat KKR
Match 48 - GT defeat PBKS
Match 49 - CSK defeat RCB
Match 50 - SRH defeat DC
Match 51 - MI defeat GT
Match 52 - RR defeat PBKS
Match 53 - KKR defeat LSG
Match 54 - SRH defeat RCB
Match 55 - CSK defeat DC
Match 56 - MI defeat KKR
Match 57 - GT defeat LSG
Match 58 - RR defeat DC
Match 59 - MI defeat CSK
Match 60 - RCB defeat PBKS
Match 61 - SRH defeat KKR
Match 62 - GT defeat CSK
Match 63 - RR defeat LSG
Match 64 - PBKS defeat DC
Match 65 - MI defeat SRH
Match 66 - KKR defeat LSG
Match 67 - GT defeat RCB
Match 68 - RR defeat CSK
Match 69 - MI defeat DC
Match 70 - SRH defeat PBKS