Trending News

WATCH: Hungary fans clash with police inside Wembley during World Cup qualifier game against England

The police even used baton to fight against the crowd and arrest one miscreant.

Aditya Kumar Editor

Updated - 13 October 2021 2:03 pm

A scuffle broke out between the police and the visiting Hungary fans at the Wembley Stadium at the start of the nation’s World Cup qualifier game against England on Tuesday. The police had gone into the crowd to arrest one of the guest spectators for an incident related to racism when a section of Hungary fans got involved in a fight with them, giving rise to a massive brawl.

It is worth noting that just before the start of the game, the England players took a knee for the fight against racism. This when jeers were heard from the section of the opposition fans, which propelled the police to take action. The police even used baton to fight against the crowd and arrest one miscreant.

Check out the video here:

Later, the Metropolitan Police clarified on Twitter, saying: “Shortly after the start of tonight’s match at Wembley, officers entered the stand to arrest a spectator for a racially aggravated public order offence following comments made towards a steward.

“As the officers made the arrest, minor disorder broke out involving other spectators. Order was quickly restored and there have been no further incidents at this stage.”

Meanwhile, Football Association promised to investigate and report the incident to the apex football body – FIFA. “We are aware of an incident in the away section during tonight’s Fifa 2022 World Cup qualifier at Wembley Stadium. We will be investigating and will report the incident to Fifa,” said FA.

Notably, this is not the first incident in the recent time when the Hungary fans have caught limelight for their unacceptable behaviour. Even during the last match between the sides in Budapest which took place last month, England’s Raheem Sterling and Jude Bellingham were subjected to racist chants from the host fans. Some miscreants even threw objects into the stadium, alongside launching a flare onto the pitch.

Talking about the match on Tuesday, England were restricted by Hungary to a 1-1 draw. Roland Sallai’s penalty in the 24th minute kept the hosts in the driver’s seat before John Stones’ comeback strike in the 37th minute could level the scores. The rest of the game saw none of the teams score any goal despite the Three Lions sharing a fair dominance in possession of the ball and the shots on target.


Join our Family Today!
Prev Next Story