Trending News

India’s tour of South Africa likely to be postponed by a week: Report

India's tour to South Africa is slated to kick off on December 17 with a Test match at The Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg.

Aditya Kumar Editor

Updated - 7 December 2021 2:48 pm

Highlights
  • India were expected to depart for the Rainbow Nation on December 8.
  • The series will comprise of three Tests, three ODIs and four T20Is.

If the latest update is to be believed, India’s tour of South Africa will go on but the schedule for the same is likely to be changed. The reports that the series might get cancelled owing to the new variant of COVID-19 in the host country have already been circulating around for a while now. However, BCCI has not given any update on the report that states the tour is likely to be delayed.

It is worth noting that India were expected to depart for the Rainbow Nation on December 8 or 9, but the latest Omicron virus has put the series under threat. According to India Today, BCCI has asked for a week’s time from Cricket South Africa to re-think on the possibility of the tour. However, so far it seems that boards of both the countries are interested in going ahead with the series.

Also Read: South Africa vs India series: All you need to know – Full Schedule, Venues and More

India’s tour to South Africa is slated to kick off on December 17 with a Test match at The Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg. The teams will play two more Test matches before fighting it out in as many ODIs starting January 11. The final games between them will be a four-match T20I series that begins on January 19.

Last week, South Africa’s three-match ODI series against Netherlands, that was being hosted by the Rainbow Nation, was cancelled due to the Omicron virus after the first match of the series was washed out. The new virus has also led to the cancellation of the Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifier 2021 in Harare, while the Junior Women’s Hockey World Cup, which was slated to host by South Africa from December 5 to December 16, has been put on hold.

We still have time to decide: BCCI President Sourav Ganguly

In a statement to media days ago, BCCI President Sourav Ganguly had said that the tour was on. However, he had added that players’ security is the first priority for the cricket governing body of India. Meanwhile, the board president had also said that BCCI will do everything possible for the series.

HAVE A GREAT DAY WITH TOP STORIES IN THE WORLD OF SPORTS

Join our Family Today!
Prev Next Story