Kieron Pollard, who is considered as one of the greatest players in T20s, has turned 34 on Wednesday. Despite batting in the lower middle-order, he has played a significant role for his IPL and CPL franchises. Pollard also finds his name in the wickets tally as he is a useful part-time bowler. In overall, the stalwart has been a key players for any team with his big-hitting prowess, agility on the field and bowling.
Let us have a look at some of his achievements —
- Kieron Pollard is the 3rd West Indian player to make his international debut in World Cup itself. He played his maiden game at the highest level in World Cup 2007. Other two players to make their international debut at the mega event are Phil Simmons in 1987 & Ricardo Powell in 1999.
- He is only the second player to smash six sixes in an over in T20Is after Yuvraj Singh. He achieved this feat earlier in this year against Sri Lanka on the bowling of Akila Dananjaya.
- He is only the second player to score 10,000 runs in T20s, despite playing much lower down the order. And also with the ball he has picked 296 wickets (11th highest wicket-taker in T20s).
- Pollard has won 15 T20 tournament finals which is most for any player.
- He is the first and the only player to play 500 T20 matches and is only the 2nd player after Chris Gayle to smash more than 700 sixes in T20s.
- He is the first and only overseas player to play more than 150 matches for a single IPL franchise. Also he is the only player to smash 200 sixes for MI in IPL.
- He has been the man of finals for Mumbai Indians in IPL.
Pollard in IPL finals with the bat:
27 (10) vs CSK, 2010
60* (32) vs CSK, 2013
36 (18) vs CSK, 2015
7 (3) vs RPS, 2017
41* (25) vs CSK, 2019
9 (4) vs DC, 2020
He has smashed 180 runs in IPL finals across 6 innings at an average of 45 and with a strike rate of 195.65.
- Pollard on his IPL captaincy debut scored 83 (31) vs PBKS and that ensured MI chase down a tough total of 198 runs. His 83 runs during IPL 2019 is second highest for a player after Shreyas Iyer's 93* in IPL at captaincy debut.
- Pollard is the only 5th overseas player to achieve the feat of scoring 3000 runs in IPL.
- His 75* (37) vs New Zealand in 2020 is the second highest score for any player playing at number 6 as a captain in T20Is.
Highest score as captain in T20Is for a player while batting at number 6-11:
Shaheryar Butt - 125* vs Czech Republic, 2020
Kieron Pollard - 75* vs New Zealand, 2020
Preston Mommsen - 68* vs Netherlands, 2015