41-year-old cricketer collapsed on ground after being punched by opposition player in Auckland

The player was left with concussion and a bruised nose after getting a punch right into his face.

Rohan GulatyAuthor

Updated - 22 March 2021 11:43 AM

Screenshot 2021-03-22 110158

Cricket, famously called as gentlemen's game, sometimes lose its essence when players on the field lose their cool and demonstrate unprofessionalism. While there have been many cases of violent behaviour by cricketers in past, one such shocking incident took place in Auckland on March 20, Saturday.

Gentlemen's game, really?

The incident happened during a community cricket match at the Lloyd Elsmore Park in Pakuranga. 41-year-old cricketer Arshad Basheer was bowling for Suburbs New Lynn Cricket Club. The player was not happy with few of the balls being called wide when they seemed to be inside the line. After a while, Basheer said ''Please don't cheat'' to a player from the Howick Pakuranga Cricket Club.

As per Basheer's statement, the opposition player completely lost his cool, asked the 41-year-old to repeat what he said and smashed a blow into his face. After the hit, Basheer lost consciousness for a while as he collapsed on the ground.

As quoted by stuff.co.nz, Basheer said, “He held my neck in both hands, I tried to escape and the next minute he punched me. ” The player spend the Saturday evening at A&E and narrated the entire incident to the police. As a result, Basheer could not go for his evening part-time job from where he earns between $200 and $300 by driving taxi.

Will there be any action taken?

Basheer has deemed the actions of the player ''unacceptable'' and has demanded that the player should be banned. As per reports, the investigation has started but there haven't been any arrests till now. Francis Scordino, the Howick Pakuranga Cricket Club manager, also confirmed that the club has initiated an internal formal investigation process. He added that there would be two sides to what happened in Auckland.

Dean Bartlett, the community cricket manager for Auckland Cricket, said, "It is our understanding that one player has been internally stood down by their club indefinitely, therefore will take no part in the rest of the season. Once the matter is closed by the police, we will begin our judicial process, which will involve a full hearing conducted by the Auckland Cricket Judicial Panel."


Join our Family Today!