Juventus are going through a rough patch on and off the field as they faced points deduction twice in the Serie A 2022-23. While the first 15-point deduction was overturned, they dropped to seventh in the Italian league table following a 10-point reduction due to transfer irregularities. In a new development to the case, the club has now agreed to a plea bargain with the Italian Football Federation (FIGC), which means the second trial will be brought forward to May 30 instead of the original date of June 15.
The Bianconeri lawyers reached an agreement with FIGC Prosecutor Giuseppe Chiné ahead of the second sporting trial which means the club could get away with a fine and reduced point reduction. The club has previously denied wrongdoing and said its accounts are in line with football industry practice.
According to Italian media, Juventus will either get a hefty fine with a reduced point penalty or just a big fine without any point penalty in the settlement. The Old Lady now won’t appeal the FIGC decision because of their agreement with the prosecutor which, according to Tuttosport’s printed edition, somehow confirms the club’s guilt in the matter.
Juventus sporting director Francesco Calvo stood firm that the club is being forced unjustly as he said, “We have said from the start very clearly that we feel we were punished unjustly, that it has been disproportionate, that we started the trial accused of violating one article, but concluded it condemned for a completely different one. That is water under the bridge now, this is definitive and we are focused on the pitch.”
Along with the proceedings with FIGC, the UEFA is carrying out its own investigation into Juventus’ finances and they could be banned from European competitions for multiple years if found guilty. As of now, Juve must win their remaining game against Udinese and hope one of Roma or Atalanta drop points in order to qualify for the Europa League next season.