The debate over international cricket and domestic tournament is far from over. While, many prominent cricketers have expressed their concern over the growing popularity of franchise oriented domestic tournaments claiming it might put the international cricket at the back seat, a prominent England batter has withdrawn himself from the upcoming season of The Hundred to keep himself fit for the Test series against South Africa.
English batter Jonny Bairstow has been in the form of his life, recently scoring four Test centuries and a fifty. Bairstow has made valuable contribution for his team across all formats and emerged as a force to reckon with. While England men's cricket team is on a mission to revamp its performance in Test format, Bairstow recently claimed that he will withdraw from this year's season of The Hundred to maintain his fitness for the upcoming Test series against South Africa.
The 32-year-old expressed his disappointment at not being able to play in the competition this year and said that he wants to priortize Test series against the Proteas.
As quoted by Sky Sports, he said, "I am really disappointed I wont be part of the The Hundred this year. I loved it last year, but I have had hectic few months with the schedule as it is and I really need to take a breather before the South Africa Test series. All the best to the Welsh Fire men and women - I'll be cheering you on."
Responding to Jonny Bairstow's decision, Welsh Fire issued a statement saying that they understand the 32-year-old's decision and are excited to get their campaign underway.
"We understand Jonny's decision and wish him all the best. We cant wait to get out Hundred campaign under way and then look forward to getting back in front of our own fans at Sophia Gardens on Sunday," read the Welsh Fire's statement.
Notably, the three-match Test series between England and South Africa will commence on August 17 and will go on till September 12, 2022.