The ongoing agitation of India's top wrestlers against the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) Chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh has now taken a new turn. The wrestlers, protesting against Singh for allegedly sexually harassing women grapplers, have announced that they will now fight their case in court and stop their on-road protests.
The statement came after the government filed a chargesheet against Singh and initiated the election process for the WFI. The wrestlers said that they are satisfied with the government's action and will wait for the outcome of the elections rescheduled for July 11.
In identical tweets from Vinesh Phogat, Sakshi Malik, and Bajrang Punia, the wrestlers announced their decision. The statement read, “The wrestlers will continue till we get justice, but it (fight) will be in court and not on the road. Regarding the reform in WFI, the election process, as promised, has begun. We will wait for the fulfillment of promises made by the government regarding the July 11 elections."
The wrestlers, including Vinesh Phogat, Sakshi Malik, and Bajrang Punia, had earlier written a letter to the Sports Ministry seeking the postponement of the trials for the Asian Games, citing their lack of practice due to the protest. The wrestlers also clarified that they are not trying to avoid the trials, but only want a fair chance to compete.
The wrestlers said that they would continue their protest until Singh’s arrest. Vinesh Phogat and Sakshi Malik further added that they will be taking a break from social media for a few days and will focus on their training.