Stuart Broad has ended his career on a high note by picking the final wicket of the fifth Ashes Test match and helped England to level this five-match series by 2-2 margin. Stuart Broad has played Test cricket for a period of over 16 years and unfortunately his timing of retirement has shocked the experts and cricket fans as he was also expected to continue to play for his nation like his teammate James Anderson.
Here, in this article we will have a look at some of the stats and achievements from Stuart Broad's international career.
1. Stuart Broad has picked 604 wickets in Test cricket and overall he has picked 847 wickets in his international career.
Most wickets by a bowler in Test cricket:
Muralitharan - 800
Shane Warne - 708
James Anderson - 690
Anil Kumble - 619
Stuart Broad - 604
Most wickets by a pace bowler in international cricket:
James Anderson - 977
Glenn McGrath - 949
Wasim Akram - 916
Stuart Broad - 847
Shaun Pollock - 829
2. Stuart Broad, who was playing the final match of his Test career, ended it on a high as he became the first player in history to hit a six on the final ball and take a wicket on the final ball in Test cricket.
3. Stuart Broad was part of 2010 T20 World Cup winning side and he played 27 out of 56 T20I games as captain of England in T20Is.
Stuart Broad was captain of English team in T20 WC 2012 & T20 WC 2014.
Most wickets for England in T20 World Cup:
Stuart Broad - 30
Graeme Swann - 22
Chris Jordan / Adil Rashid - 21
Most wickets by a pacer in T20 World Cup:
Lasith Malinga - 38
Umar Gul - 35
Stuart Broad / Dale Steyn - 30
4. Stuart Broad has taken 153 wickets in the Ashes series.
Most wickets by a bowler in The Ashes:
Shane Warne - 195
Glenn McGrath - 157
Stuart Broad - 153
Stuart Broad is the only English bowler to have taken more than 150 wickets in he Ashes series.
5. Stuart Broad has played 167 matches in Test cricket which is fifth most for any player and second highest for any player only behind James Anderson.
Most matches played in Test cricket:
Sachin Tendulkar - 200
James Anderson - 183
Steve Waugh / Ricky Ponting - 168
Stuart Broad - 167
6. Stuart Broad scored a Test hundred while batting at number 9 position against Pakistan in 2010 at Lord's.
Highest score by a batsman while batting at number 9 (or) lower position in Tests:
Ian Smith - 173 vs IND in Auckland, 1990
Stuart Broad - 169 vs PAK in Lord's, 2010
Clem Hill - 160 vs ENG in Adelaide, 1908
Stuart Broad in his Test career has scored 3647 runs overall despite being a bowler.
7. Stuart Broad has taken two hat-tricks in his Test cricket career overall.
Bowlers to take two hat-tricks in Test cricket:
Notably, Stuart Broad is the only bowler to have taken a hat-trick against India in Test cricket.
8. Stuart Broad has taken 113 Test wickets at Lord's venue alone.
Most wickets taken by a bowler in Test cricket at a particular venue:
Muralitharan - 166 in Colombo (SSC)
James Anderson - 119 in Lord's
Muralitharan - 117 in Kandy
Stuart Broad - 113 in Lord's
Most wickets taken by a bowler in international cricket at a particular venue:
Shakib Al Hasan - 247 in Mirpur, Dhaka
Muralitharan - 188 in Colombo (SSC)
James Anderson - 141 in Lord's
Stuart Broad - 130 in Lord's
9. Stuart Broad has dismissed David Warner 17 times in Test cricket.
Bowler dismissing a particular batsman most times in Tests:
Glenn McGrath - Mike Atherton (19 times)
Alec Bedser - Arthur Morris (18 times)
Curtly Ambrose - Mike Atherton (17 times)
Courtney Walsh - Mike Atherton (17 times)
Stuart Broad - David Warner (17 times)
10. Stuart Broad recorded a bowling figure of 8/15 against Australia in 2015 Ashes game in Nottingham.
Best bowling figure by a bowler in the Ashes match:
Jim Laker - 10/53 in Manchester, 1956
Jim Laker - 9/37 in Manchester, 1956
Arthur Mailey - 9/121 in Melbourne, 1921
Stuart Broad - 8/15 in Nottingham, 2015
Frank Laver - 8/31 in Manchester, 1909
11. Stuart Broad is only the sixth player to have picked 400-plus wickets and score 3000+ runs in Test cricket.
Players with 3000-plus runs and 400-plus wickets in Test cricket: