The ODI World Cup 2023 will start in a period of 7 days, with the inaugural match to be played between 2019 World Cup finalists England and New Zealand. In the 12 editions of the ODI World Cup from 1975 to 2019, there have been several good performances with the ball and here in this article, we will have a look at them.
1. Glenn McGrath vs. Namibia in the 2003 World Cup:
Glenn McGrath holds the record for having the best bowling figures (7/15) in the ODI World Cup history. He picked seven out of the first eight wickets in that game and bundled the opposition team for just 45 runs.
Glenn McGrath's spell against Namibia in the 2003 World Cup:
- 0, 0, 4, Wd, W, 5Wd, 0, 2
- 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
- 0, 0, 0, 2, 0, W
- 0, 0, W, 0, 0, 0
- 0, 0, 0, W, 0, 0
- 1, 0, 0, 0, W, 0
- 0, W, 0, 0, W, 0
McGrath despite conceding 12 runs in his first over, ended up conceding only three runs in the next six overs with four out of six overs being maidens respectively.
McGrath wickets in this game:
- Jan-Berrie Burger (Caught by Ricky Ponting)
- Morne Karg (Caught by Adam Gilchrist)
- Gavin Murgatroyd (LBW)
- Danie Keulder (Caught by Adam Gilchrist)
- Louis Burger (Caught by Adam Gilchrist)
- Deon Kotze (Caught by Adam Gilchrist)
- Bjorn Kotze (Bowled)