As per a recent development from Sri Lanka Cricket, it is being reported that the ban which was imposed on Kusal Mendis, Danushka Gunathilaka and Niroshan Dickwella has now been lifted with immediate effect.
The trio had notably breached the COVID-19 guidelines during Sri Lanka’s tour of England following which they had received a one-year ban. However, all the three players will now be eligible for selection for the upcoming home series against Zimbabwe provided they meet the latest fitness standards set by the board.
One-year ban imposed on Kusal Mendis, Danushka Gunathilaka & Niroshan Dickwella has been lifted. They will be eligible to play during the Zimbabwe tour, subject to meeting required fitness standards.
— Nibraz Ramzan (@nibraz88cricket) January 7, 2022
Sri Lanka will lock horns with Zimbabwe in a 3-match ODI series, with the matches scheduled to be played on January 16, 18 and 21 at Pallekelle International Cricket Stadium in Kandy. Earlier in the day, it was reported that Danushka Gunathilaka has decided to retire from Tests in order to focus on white-ball cricket. It will be interesting how things unfold from here.
SLC releases an official statement
Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) released an official statement to reflect on the situation on Friday. “The latest decision was taken following a request made by the three players to Sri Lanka Cricket to lift the ban imposed on them, pursuant to the conclusion of the LPL 2021,” SLC said in a statement.
“Upon consideration of the said report submitted by the Doctor, the Executive Committee of the SLC decided at a meeting held today (January 7) to remove the suspension of the said three players. However, the lifted suspension will remain suspended for a period of two years, during which the three players’ conduct will be closely monitored by the SLC,” the board added.