Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket today. Though Harbhajan’s last match for India was way back in March 2016, he was playing IPL till 2021. Harbhajan was last seen playing for KKR in IPL 2021 against RCB in Chennai during April month. Harbhajan made his international debut in 1998 and he has played for more than 2 decades as a cricketer. Let us have a look at some of the statistical highlights of Harbhajan Singh’s entire career.
– Harbhajan Singh was the first Indian bowler to take a hat-trick in Test cricket. He achieved this feat against Australia in March 2001 at Eden Gardens in Kolkata.
– Harbhajan Singh remains to be the 2nd highest wicket-taker (711) in international cricket among Indian bowlers. Also Harbhajan Singh is currently the 3rd highest wicket-taker in IPL among Indian bowlers.
Most wickets in International cricket among Indian bowlers:
Anil Kumble – 956
Harbhajan Singh – 711
Kapil Dev – 687
Most wickets in IPL among Indian bowlers:
Amit Mishra – 166
Piyush Chawla – 157
Harbhajan Singh – 150
– Harbhajan Singh is the only player to smash two centuries in a Test Series while batting at number 8-11 position. He smashed two back-to-back centuries against NZ in 2010.
– Harbhajan Singh holds the record for bowling most dot balls (1,268) in IPL history. He remains to be the only Indian bowler to bowl 2 maiden overs in a T20 WC match.
Bowlers to bowl two maiden overs in a T20 WC match:
Shaun Tait vs Bangladesh in 2010 T20 WC
Ajantha Mendis vs Zimbabwe in 2012 T20 WC
Graeme Swann vs Afghanistan in 2012 T20 WC
Harbhajan Singh vs England in 2012 T20 WC
Nuwan Kulasekara vs Netherlands in 2014 T20 WC
Rangana Herath vs New Zealand in 2014 T20 WC
– Harbhajan Singh picked 32 wickets in the historic 3-match Test series played against Australia in 2001.
Most wickets by an Indian bowler in a Test match series (Played 3 or fewer matches):
Harbhajan Singh – 32 wickets vs Australia, 2001
Ravi Ashwin – 27 wickets vs New Zealand, 2016
Axar Patel – 27 wickets vs England, 2021
– Harbhajan smashed 64 (24) in IPL 2015 against PBKS while batting at number 8 position. Harbhajan Singh-Jagadeesha Suchith’s partnership remains to be the only 100-run partnership for the 7th wicket in IPL history. His 64(24) knock was the joint-fastest fifty in IPL 2015 season.
Highest Score by a batsman while batting at number 8 in IPL:
Pat Cummins – 66*(34) vs CSK, 2021
Harbhajan Singh – 64(24) vs PBKS, 2015
Chris Morris – 52*(41) vs MI, 2017
– Harbhajan Singh holds the record for taking most international wickets in a calendar year by an Indian bowler.
Most international wickets in a calendar year by an Indian bowler:
Harbhajan Singh – 102 wickets in 2002
Kapil Dev – 100 wickets in 1983
Ravi Ashwin – 97 wickets in 2016
Anil Kumble – 90 wickets in 1996
Zaheer Khan – 89 wickets in 2002
– Harbhajan Singh has joint-most five-wicket hauls (3) in ODIs for India. Overall Harbhajan has been 5th highest wicket-taker for India in ODIs, 4th highest wicket-taker for India in Test cricket.
– Harbhajan Singh as Captain won CL T20 2011 for Mumbai Indians. Later he also won IPL 2013, CL T20 2013, IPL 2015 finals for Mumbai Indians under Rohit Sharma’s captaincy. Rohit Sharma was also part of winning squad in MI & CSK during 2017 & 2018 IPL.
– Harbhajan Singh was the joint-highest wicket-taker (24) for MI in IPL 2013 with Mitchell Johnson. Also, Harbhajan Singh recorded the bowling figure of 4/32 against RR in CL T20 2013 finals which helped MI lift their 2nd CL T20 trophy.
– Harbhajan Singh was also part of the Indian team which lifted T20 WC 2007 & WC 2011. He played a crucial role for India in both ICC tournaments to lift the trophy. Also, Harbhajan Singh was part of the CT 2002 team who were joint champions with Sri Lanka.