A lot of expectations are over the place as India gets ready to face Pakistan in their first game in the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2021 in Dubai on 24th October. India has been a phenomenal team over the years in T20 World Cup with one trophy to their name in the inaugural edition. However, India post 2013 Champions Trophy win haven't won an ICC trophy as they have either lost the game in tournament semi-finals (or) finals since then.
India has also lost two T20 World Cups (2014 & 2016) post 2013 Champions Trophy win in the knock out stage of the tournament. It will be interesting to see whether India can bid farewell to Virat Kohli as captain in his final T20I tournament with a trophy in his hand or not. Here in this article, we will have a look at Team India's history in T20 World Cup.
India in T20 World Cup:
India in T20 World Cup (year-wise):
2007 - India won the inaugural T20 World Cup
2009 - Entered Super Eight Stage
2010 - Entered Super Eight Stage
2012 - Entered Super Eight Stage
2014 - Runners-up (Lost to Sri Lanka in the final)
2016 - Semi-Finalists (Lost to West Indies in semi-finals)
India against different opposition team in World T20:
vs Pakistan - Won 5 out of 5 games
vs South Africa - Won 4 out of 5 games
vs Bangladesh - Won 3 out of 3 games
vs Australia - Won 3 out of 5 games
vs Afghanistan - Won 2 out of 2 games
vs England - Won 2 out of 3 games
vs West Indies - Won 1 out of 4 games
vs Ireland - Won 1 out of 1 game
India has never defeated Sri Lanka and New Zealand. India has faced these two sides twice in the marquee event but haven't won against them even once.
- In the all above six T20 World Cup seasons (33 matches), India have used only 1 captain MS Dhoni. Virat Kohli will become only the second captain to lead the Indian side in T20 World Cup. Overall, MS Dhoni holds the record for captaining most games in T20 WC.
Most matches as captain in T20 WC:
MS Dhoni (2007-2016): 33
Daren Sammy (2012-2016): 18
Paul Collingwood (2007-2010): 17
- Virat Kohli smashed 319 runs in T20 World Cup 2014, which remains to be highest for any player in a single T20 World Cup season. Virat Kohli also holds the record of having highest batting average of 86.33 in T20 WC [among players who played atleast 10 innings].
- Ravichandran Ashwin is the leading wicket-taker (20) for India in T20 World Cup history. He has played three (2012-2016) WT20's for India in the past.
- As we saw above, India have defeated Pakistan in all the five meetings that they have faced each other.
Most One-Sided Head-to-Head in T20 World Cups:
India defeated Pakistan by 5-0
Pakistan defeated Bangladesh by 5-0
West Indies defeated England by 5-0
- Suresh Raina was the first Asian batter to smash a century in T20 World Cup. He smashed 101(60) vs SA in T20 WC 2010. Overall, he was the second player after Chris Gayle to smash a century in T20 World Cup.
- Among current players Rohit Sharma is the only player to have played atleast 1 match in all six World Cup editions. Thus, he is expected to be the only Indian player to feature in all seven WT20 editions now.
- In the last 3 T20 World Cup editions for India, Virat Kohli has been team's highest run-scorer. Also, he remains to be the only player to win 2 Man of the Series award in T20 World Cup history.
Most runs for India in
2007 WT20 - Gautam Gambhir (227 runs)
2009 WT20 - Yuvraj Singh (153 runs)
2010 WT20 - Suresh Raina (219 runs)
2012 WT20 - Virat Kohli (185 runs)
2014 WT20 - Virat Kohli (319 runs)
2016 WT20 - Virat Kohli (273 runs)
- Yuvraj Singh remains to be the only player to hit six sixes off an over in ICC T20 World Cup. This happened during India vs England clash in Durban during T20 World Cup 2007. Overall, Yuvraj Singh has smashed 33 sixes in T20 World Cup history. Yuvraj Singh still holds the record for smashing the fastest fifty from just 12 balls against England in that T20 World Cup game.
Most sixes in T20 World Cup:
Chris Gayle - 60
Yuvraj Singh - 33
Shane Watson - 31
Fastest fifty in T20 World Cup history:
Yuvraj Singh - 12 balls vs England, 2007
Stephen Myburgh - 17 balls vs Ireland, 2014
Glenn Maxwell - 18 balls vs Pakistan, 2014
- India is the only team to win 2 World T20 games by a margin of just 1 run. They won by 1 run against South Africa in T20 World Cup 2012 & then against Bangladesh in T20 World Cup 2016.