Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) banned Kusal Mendis, Niroshan Dickwella and Danushka Gunathilaka for a year from all cricket in July after they were found guilty of breaching the bio-bubble while in England. Prior to the ODI series against the Three Lions, the three of them were seen having fun outside the bubble late at night in Durham. However, soon after the video went viral, the three received a year ban each and a hefty fine.
Fresh reports tracing this news claim that two out of these three cricketers (names unconfirmed) are planning to leave for the United States of America (USA) to resume their cricket careers. While a cricketer had already decided to leave the island country, another has joined him in this venture.
As per a report by Sunday Morning Sports, the sources claim that at least two players from Sri Lanka (out of the three banned) are planning to play in US for three years, They are expecting a deal of $125,000 per year during this period. The report further claims that players in question have received a thumbs-up of a legendary cricketer to play the sport in the USA.
Players considering USA as a future for their cricketing career
"The said arrangement is to play for the USA for $ 125,000 per year, for three years. In his inquiry, the player was proved lying to the disciplinary committee on a fatal accident which he had committed some time ago. Now he is trying to take on the SLC CEO over his punishment," the source said.
"This legend is a good pal of the player manager of the two players who now try to leave the country. The legend well known in the cricket circles for playing covert double games,” added the source.
Meanwhile, cricketers who are not seeing a productive future for themselves in their home country are seriously considering USA as an option. Earlier, all-rounder Shehan Jayasuriya had also moved to USA with his family and informed SLC that he won’t be available for any international or domestic assignment. Even former cricketer Dilhara Fernando had walked the same path.