As this year 2022 comes to an end, we saw a lot of records being broken across various sporting events like CWG, FIFA WC, IPL, and many individual players achieved milestones in the cricket field as well. Indian athletes were phenomenal in other sporting events like Hockey, Badminton, and Boxing which helped them to win a lot of medals. Here in this article, we will have a look at some of those 22 important sports records that were broken or created this year.
1 . Virat Kohli ended his two-year century drought in international cricket:
Virat Kohli finally smashed his much-awaited 71st century in international cricket after 1020 days in Asia Cup 2022. Kohli, unfortunately, wasn't able to breach the three-figure mark in 2020 & 2021. But he was able to score an international century in the year 2022.
2. A new franchise winning an IPL trophy:
In the last five IPL editions (2017-2021) before 2022, only CSK & MI have been winning the IPL trophy continuously. But this year the streak was finally broken as a new franchise Gujarat Titans lifted the IPL trophy in 2022. The last time a new team won an IPL was in 2016 by Sunrisers Hyderabad (If Deccan and SRH counted as same team then MI was the last team to win in 2013) .
3. Neeraj Chopra became the first Indian to win Diamond League:
Neeraj Chopra became the first Indian to win the Diamond League title and also became the 2nd Indian to win a medal (silver) in the 2022 World Championship Athletics.
4. India men's badminton team create history by winning Thomas Cup:
India's men's badminton team created history by winning the Thomas Cup for the first time. India ended up beating 14-time champion Indonesia in the 2022 Thomas Cup final and became only the 6th team in history to win the Thomas Cup title.
5. India women's team win inaugural FIH nations cup:
India clinched the inaugural FIH women's Hockey nation cup with a 1-0 win against Spain and qualified for the 2023-24 FIH Pro League. Indian women's hockey team also won a bronze medal in CWG 2022.
6. Records set by Lionel Messi & Argentina team in FIFA WC 2022:
- Lionel Messi became the most-capped player in FIFA WC history (26). Also, he holds the record for winning joint-most games (17) in FIFA WC with Miroslav Klose.
- Lionel Messi became the only player to win two golden ball awards in FIFA WC.
- Lionel Messi also has scored 13 goals in FIFA WC which is 4th joint-highest overall.
Argentina team won FIFA WC for 3rd time overall. Last time Argentina won FIFA WC was in 1986 and after a span of 36 years they won their next FIFA WC title in 2022.
7. Ishan Kishan became 4th Indian batsman to smash a double century in ODIs:
Ishan Kishan smashed 210 off 138 balls against Bangladesh in the recently concluded ODI match at Chattogram. He became the only 4th Indian batsman to smash a double hundred in ODI after Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, and Rohit Sharma.
8. Babar Azam became first Pakistan captain to smash 1000 Test runs in a calendar year:
Pakistan skipper Babar Azam has scored 1170 Test runs in 2022 (1 more inning left). He became the first Pakistan captain to smash more than 1000 Test runs in a calendar year.
9. David Warner's unique feat:
David Warner became only the 2nd batsman after Joe Root to smash a double hundred in his 100th Test match and also became 2nd batsman after Gordon Greenidge to smash a century in both his 100th ODI & 100th Test match.
10. Nikhat Zareen won gold medal in 2022 IBA Women's World Boxing Championship:
Nikhat Zareen created history by becoming only the 5th Indian boxer to win a gold medal Women's World Boxing Championship. She won a gold medal for the flyweight category (52 KG) by beating Jutamas Jitpong on a 5-0 margin in the finals of the tournament.
11. Most T20I wins as a captain in a calendar year:
Rohit Sharma won 21 T20I matches as captain in 2022 which is the most for any skipper in a calendar year. The previous record was held by Babar Azam who won 20 T20I matches in 2021.
12. Suryakumar Yadav's impressive feat in 2022.
Suryakumar Yadav smashed 1164 T20I runs in 2022 from just 31 innings. he has smashed those T20I runs at an average of 46.56 with a strike rate of 187.43 in this calendar year. Suryakumar became only 2nd batsman to smash 1000-plus T20I runs in a calendar year overall.
13. Commonwealth Games 2022:
Indian team won 61 medals in CWG 2022 overall (22 gold, 16 silver & 23 bronze). Six of them won a gold medal in Wrestling sport for CWG from India namely Bajrang Punia, Sakshi Malik, Deepak Punia, Ravi Kumar Dahiya, Vinesh Phogat, Naveen Sihag.
India managed to win an award in the Lawn Bowl sport for the first time.
14. England team winning men's T20 World Cup:
England team won the men's T20 WC trophy for 2nd time after 2010. England showed brilliant display with both bat and ball in the tournament.
15. Australia women's team winning World Cup:
The Australian women's team won the World Cup for the 7th time overall.
16. Sri Lanka winning a multi-nation tournament after 8 long years:
Sri Lanka men's cricket team won a multi-nation tournament (All Tri-Series have been excluded) after 8 long years in the form of Asia Cup 2022. Before this event their last multi-tour win came in T20 WC 2014.
17. Virat Kohli surpassing the century tally of Ricky Ponting in international cricket:
Virat Kohli smashed his 72nd international century in the recently concluded Bangladesh ODI series and by doing so, he surpassed the tally of former Australian skipper Ricky Ponting who hit 71 centuries in his international career.
18. England's Bazball era in Tests:
Ben Stokes as Test Captain won 9 out of 10 matches in 2022. Under his captaincy, England beat New Zealand by a 3-0 margin, won one-off Test vs India, beat South Africa by a 2-1 margin and they also beat Pakistan by a 3-0 margin.
19. N Jagadeesan sets the record for having the highest score in List A cricket:
N Jagadeesan smashed 277 runs vs Arunachal Pradesh in Vijay Hazare Trophy 2022 and set a new milestone for the highest score in List A cricket.
20. Cristiano Ronaldo's unique record in FIFA WC:
Ronaldo became the only footballer to score at least one goal in five different FIFA WC editions. During Portugal vs Ghana in FIFA WC 2022, he smashed a goal and added himself to the elite list of being the only footballer to score at least one goal in 5 World Cups.
21. Jasprit Bumrah smashing most runs in an over of Test:
Bumrah smashed 35 runs off an over in a Test match against England in the over bowled by Stuart Broad. He went on to create a record for smashing the most runs off an over in Test cricket by doing so.
22. Bangladesh beating New Zealand for the first time in Test cricket:
Bangladesh men's team went on to record their first-ever Test win against New Zealand at the start of 2022 in Mt. Maunganui venue. Bangladesh created a unique record of becoming the only Asian side to win a Test match on New Zealand soil since 2012.