Germany and Japan will face each other in their Group E opener at the FIFA World Cup 2022 on Wednesday at the Khalifa International Stadium. Manuel Neuer's Germany and Maya Yoshida-led Japan are placed in the Group E alongside Spain and Costa Rica.
After winning the 2014 World Cup, Germany were eliminated in the group stage in the 2018 World Cup and will look to dominate this year with their world-class squad, however, Germany face a setback as star wingers Leroy Sane picked up a knee injury in the training and will miss the opener against Japan. On the other hand, Japan made it to the Round of 16 in the 2018 World Cup and will look to qualify for further stages in Qatar.
Germany vs Japan: Match Preview
- Germany and Japan have faced each other twice in international friendlies in 2004 and 2006. Germany vs Japan: How to Watch
- The European giants defeated the Asian country 3-0 in their first fixture while both the teams played a 2-2 draw in 2006.
- Germany include Manuel Neuer, Thomas Muller, Ikay Gundogan, Serge Gnabry, Joshua Kimmich, Antonio Rudiger as their top players.
- Japan include Maya Yoshida, Takehiro Tomiyasu, Takumi Minamino, Takefusa Kubo as their top players.
Predicted halftime scores: (Germany 3-1 Japan)
- 1st Half: 1-1
- 2nd Half: 2-0
Germany vs Japan: Betting Odds (FT)
Handicap (Spread): 1.5 points (Germany -1.5)
Over/Under: 2.5 (Over)
Prediction: Germany 3-1 Japan
- Germany have -210 odds to pick up the win, while Japan are listed at +550 to claim victory.
- The draw between Germany and Japan has been listed at +350 odds.
- Germany scored a total of 36 goals in 10 matches at the UEFA World Cup qualifiers while Japan scored 12 goals in 10 AFC World Cup qualifying matches.
- From their opponents, Germany conceded just four goals in the qualifiers while Japan managed a difference of eight goals more.
- Japan (+1.5) are placed on +120 odds while Germany (-1.5) have -175 odds.
- The full-time score has been set to a total of 2.5 goals. Over -160, Under +110.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the author’s point of view. They neither reflect the opinion of SportsTiger nor advise anyone to make any prediction based on this. SportsTiger does not assume any responsibility and liability for the same.