South Africa defeated New Zealand by a huge margin of 190 runs and went to the top of the table with six wins in seven games. New Zealand winning the toss invited Proteas to bat first and they posted a huge total of 357/4 with the help of brilliant tons from Quinton de Kock (114) and Rassie van der Dussen (133) respectively.
New Zealand chasing 358 runs were never in contention as they kept losing wickets at regular interval and got reduced to a total of 100/6 in 22.4 overs before getting all out for just 167 runs. Among Kiwi batters, only Glenn Phillips managed to score a fifty (60) with the bat as both Keshav Maharaj (4/46) and Marco Jansen (3/31) became stars for South Africa with the ball.
Numbers and Stats from the SA vs NZ game:
1 - South Africa defeated New Zealand for the first time in ODI World Cup after 1999. In the last six World Cup meetings, this has been South Africa's first victory against New Zealand.
2 - Rassie van der Dussen and Quinton de Kock became the second batting pair to record two 200-plus run partnerships in ODI World Cup history.
Batting pairs to record most double hundred partnership for South Africa in ODI World Cup:
- Tillakaratane Dilshan-Upul Tharanga: 2
- Quinton de Kock-Rassie van der Dussen: 2
Quinton de Kock and Rassie van der Dussen's 200-plus run partnership in ODI World Cup:
- 204 vs Sri Lanka in Delhi, 2023
- 200 vs New Zealand in Pune, 2023
3 - Rassie van der Dussen becomes the third batsman after AB de Villiers and Quinton de Kock to record two (or) more centuries for South Africa in a single ODI World Cup edition.
4 - Quinton de Kock has recorded his fourth century in the ODI World Cup and also he has become the first batsman to score more than 500 runs for South Africa in a single ODI World Cup edition.
4 - South Africa became the first team to record four 350-plus totals in a single ODI World Cup edition.
South Africa team's 350-plus run totals in ODI World Cup 2023:
- 428/5 vs Sri Lanka in Delhi
- 399/7 vs England in Mumbai(WS)
- 382/5 vs Bangladesh in Mumbai(WS)
- 357/4 vs New Zealand in Pune
8 - South Africa team have recorded 8 centuries in ODI World Cup 2023.
Most Centuries by a team in a single ODI WC edition:
- Sri Lanka - 8 in 2015
- South Africa - 8 in 2023
Most Centuries for South Africa in ODI WC 2023:
- Quinton de Kock - 4
- Rassie van der Dussen - 2
- Heinrich Klaasen - 1
- Aiden Markram - 1
8 - South Africa became the first side to record eight consecutive 300-plus scores in ODIs while batting first.
South Africa's total in the last 8 games while batting first:
- 338/6 vs Australia in Potchefstroom, 2023 (Win by 111 runs)
- 416/5 vs Australia in Centurion, 2023 (Win by 164 runs)
- 315/9 vs Australia in Johannesburg, 2023 (Win by 122 runs)
- 428/5 vs Sri Lanka in Delhi, 2023 World Cup (Win by 102 runs)
- 311/7 vs Australia in Lucknow, 2023 World Cup (Win by 134 runs)
- 399/7 vs England in Mumbai(WS), 2023 World Cup (Win by 229 runs)
- 382/5 vs Bangladesh in Mumbai(WS), 2023 World Cup (Win by 149 runs)
- 357/4 vs New Zealand in Pune, 2023 World Cup (Win by 190 runs)
Notably, South Africa have defeated all their opponents by 100-plus runs in the last 8 ODI games.
28 - Will Young has completed 1000 ODI runs from 28 innings.
Fastest to complete 1000 runs for New Zealand in ODIs (by innings batted):
- Devon Conway - 22
- Glenn Turner - 24
- Daryl Mitchell - 24
- Andrew Jones - 25
- Will Young - 28
49 - Trent Boult has taken 49 wickets in the ODI World Cup.
Most wickets by a left-arm pacer in the ODI World Cup:
- Mitchell Starc - 56
- Wasim Akram - 55
- Chaminda Vaas - 49
- Trent Boult - 49
190 - South Africa defeated New Zealand by 190 runs in this game.
Biggest margin of win (by runs) in ODI World Cup 2023:
- Australia - 309 vs Netherlands in Delhi
- South Africa - 229 vs England in Mumbai(WS)
- South Africa - 190 vs New Zealand in Pune
Biggest margin of win (by runs) against New Zealand in ODI World Cup:
- Australia - 215 in St. George's (National Cricket Stadium), 2007
- South Africa - 190 in Pune, 2023
- England - 119 in Chester-le-Street, 2019