Matteo Berrettini has announced his withdrawal from the Italian Open 2023, which is to commence from May 10 in Rome. The Italian player made the announcement on Friday, leaving the fans in shock. Berrettini suffered a grade 2 tear to his internal oblique muscle during the Monte-Carlo Masters in the Round 16 match, which led him to pulling out of that tournament as well. The player is currently undergoing rehabilitation and is on his road to recovery in Barcelona.
The 2021 Wimbledon runner-up is being treated by Dr. Angel Ruiz Cotorro, who is the same doctor who treated Rafael Nadal. Berrettini took to his Instagram to reveal that he was holding on to the hope of being able to play the upcoming tournament in front of his home crowd, but he needs another week before he resumes his training. He also said that the withdrawal from the tournament was a tough call as the Italian Open meant a lot to him.
He said on Instagram, "I have been holding on to the hope of being able to compete in Rome, a tournament that means so much to me and where all my dreams started. However, my latest scan results show I still need at least a week before I can start training physically again," he captioned an Instagram post.”
He further added, “Withdrawing from and missing the Rome event is so so difficult, and that is all because of the (Italian) fans. Your support means everything and I can’t wait to be back competing in front of you again soon."
Matteo Berrettini hasn’t been able to perform much this season and has managed to win only seven out of 13 matches so far. He made it to the quarterfinals of the Mexico Open in Acapulco before he retired due to an injury. In addition to this, he was eliminated by Japan’s Taro Daniel and America’s Mackenzie McDonald in the opening round of the BNP Paribas Open and the Miami Open, respectively.