After two DNFs in the early part of the 2022 season, reigning champion Max Verstappen redeemed himself at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix. The Red Bull driver finished at the helm along with his racing partner Sergio Perez at No.2. Verstappen was leading the race right from the start and he never let the lead slip off his hands.
Meanwhile, McLaren's Londo Norris ended the main race at No.3. Mercedes' George Russell finished at the fourth position. Valtteri Bottas with his Alfa Romeo finished in the 5th position. Lewis Hamilton, however, continued his struggle as the seven-time champion could only manage to reach the 14th position.
The win was a special one for Verstappen as he won it in Ferrari's backyard. The 24-year-old owned the track right from the time he arrived. At first, he secured the pole position by winning the sprint race before the main race and then made sure no one catches up with him throughout.
Red Bull scripted history as their second driver Sergio Perez also finished second. Notably, it was the first Red Bull 1-2 finish since the 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix when Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen finished in the first and second positions respectively.
Meanwhile, Ferrari who were the favorites on a track named after them could only manage the sixth position as Charles Leclerc damaged his wing during the 53rd lap. The young Ferrari driver did manage to get going after pitting for a wing replacement, however, could only finish 6th on his new slick tyres. His partner, on the other hand, was sent back after a collision with Daniel Ricciardo.
Here is the final result of Imola GP:
1. Max Verstappen (Red Bull Racing) - 1:32:07.986
2. Sergio Perez (Red Bull Racing) - +16.527s
3. Lando Norris (McLaren Racing) - +18.307
4. George Russell (Mercedes-AMG Petronas) - +7.672
5. Valtteri Bottas (Alfa Romeo) - +0.621
6. Charles Leclerc (Scuderia Ferrari) -+12.891
7. Yuki Tsunoda (Scuderia AlphaTauri) - +5.038
8. Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin) - +9.782
9. Kevin Magnussen (Haas) - +4.368
10. Lance Stroll (Aston Martin) - +1 lap