Tennis star Andy Murray pulled out from the ongoing Canadian Open due to abdominal strain. The 36-year-old was set to lock horns with Italy's Jannik Sinner in the round of 16 on August 11, Friday, but decided not to risk any further injury and withdrew from the tournament.
Moments before his clash with Sinner, the English tennis icon walked onto the court and announced his decision. Addressing the crowd, he said, “The issue is my abdominal. So, unfortunately, I am not going to be able to play this evening.” The former World No.1 apologised to his fans for the same and said “I’m really sorry. I know, I feel like I’ve let you down. Yeah. I’ve rarely been in this situation in my career. And I feel terrible.”
He continued, "I had a very similar issue last year in the tournament in Stuttgart before Wimbledon which forced me to miss the Queen's Club tournament and I was able to play Wimbledon.”
The three-time Grand Slam winner added, "This is not as bad as that but obviously the danger if you compete and play on it is you make it worse. I'll need to see how it develops over the coming days and hopefully feel better in a few days. I'm really sorry. Thank you." With his decision, Sinner was promoted to the quarterfinal, where he will lock horns with French tennis star Gael Monfils on August 12, Saturday (IST).