India's star tennis player Sania Mirza announced her retirement earlier this year and played her last tournament in February at WTA Dubai Championships. Sania Mirza's playing career has spanned over 2 decades as she became one of the highest-paid and most influential athletes in India. Here in this article, we will have a look at some of the milestones and stats of Sania Mirza in her career.
- Sania Mirza became a professional tennis player in 2003. Before becoming a professional player, Sania Mirza had won 10 singles and 13 doubles titles as a junior player.
- Sania Mirza won the 2003 Wimbledon Championship girls' doubles title and she also reached the semi-finals of the 2003 US Open girls' doubles event.
- Sania Mirza won six ITF titles in 2004 and in February 2005, she became the first ever Indian woman to win the WTA tour title. In the same year, she became the first Indian woman to reach the fourth round of Grand Slam tournament at the US Open.
- Overall, Sania Mirza has won 43 WTA tour titles, and 6 Grand Slam events. In Commonwealth Games 2010 edition, she won a Silver medal in the women's 2010 Singles event and a Bronze medal in the Women's 2010 doubles event.
List of Sania Mirza Grand Slam titles:
2009 Australian Open Mixed doubles
2012 French Open Mixed doubles
2014 US Open Mixed doubles
2015 Wimbledon Women's doubles
2015 US Open Women's doubles
2016 Australian Open Women's doubles
- In 2015, Sania Mirza achieved the new heights of being the first Indian woman to be ranked world number 1 in either singles or doubles rankings at the WTA charts. She spent 91 weeks as the number 1 tennis player in the world.
- Sania Mirza has overall won 8 medals (2 gold, 3 silver, 3 bronze) in Asian Games.
Sania Mirza in Asian Games:
- Won Bronze medal in 2002 Mixed doubles event
- Won Gold medal in 2006 Mixed doubles event
- Won Silver medal in 2006 Women's Singles event
- Won Silver medal in 2006 Women's team event
- Won Silver medal in 2010 Mixed doubles event
- Won Bronze medal in 2010 Women's Singles event
- Won Gold medal in 2014 Mixed doubles event
- Won Bronze medal in 2014 Women's doubles event
- Sania Mirza as a player holds the record for winning the most doubles matches (162) in WTA-1000 events.
Most wins in WTA 1000 events (Doubles main draw wins):
Sania Mirza - 162
Elena Vesnina - 146
Ekaterina Makarova - 142
- Sania Mirza was conferred with many awards including Arjuna award in 2004, Padma Shri in 2006, Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna award in 2015, and Padma Bhushan award in 2016 for her achievement in this tennis sport.
- Sania Mirza was part of the Indian Fed Cup team for 11 different editions since 2003 and she holds an impressive record of a 27:10 win-loss ratio in that prestigious tournament.
- Sania Mirza also participated in Olympic events as well. She participated in four Olympic events - in 2008 Beijing, 2012 London, 2016 Rio, and 2020 Tokyo.